Barcelona, the one and only city of the Spanish country that is labeled as “Smart City”, having 4th place, just ahead of London, Paris & Stockholm. We guess this is a topic that Madrid is not very happy to hear about.
Coming up next
After knowing that the city is hosting the “Smart City Expo“ from the 17th – 19th of November, besides other several factors, there is no doubt that those days, Barcelona again will be one of the epicenters of technology and innovation in the world.
We have looked through some of the key factors that makes Barcelona a point of referral for its actions as a smart city. This are some of the most relevant for us:
- It’s the Mobile World Capital and it hosts the Mobile World Congress every year until 2023.
- There is Bicing, the Bicycle sharing system.
- The Barcelona Transport System, one of the best in Europe (not the cheapest though).
- The Smart Lightning System. Indeed, LED technology is being installed in Barcelona to reduce cost and pollution.
- There is a Pneumatic waste management system.
- Barcelona Solar Energy. Renewable and more effective energy systems.
Live Smart City projects in Barcelona
Moreover, we also want to introduce a few Barcelona Smart City projects that we found awesome and that all Spanish citizens should hear of:
- Open Data (The city’s Public information is available to everyone).
- Apps4Bcn (The city provides the best apps to discover and enjoy Barcelona).
- Barcelona wifi (There is a city’s free Internet-connection service).
- Sustainable Barcelona Map (An interactive Map introducing the city’s places of interest with environmental and social value).
- City OS (A technological platform of services and solutions for Barcelona).
- And more…(Barcelona Open Government,Smartquesina…).
Smart Cities Wheel
According to Sourcable.net (October 4, 2015) the LEED accredited professional and climate strategist Boyd Cohen, Ph.D., recently published his annual rankings of smart cities.
To create his rankings, he created a tool he called the Smart Cities Wheel, which was inspired by the work of the Center of Regional Science at the Vienna University of Technology, Siemens’ work with the Green City Index, and Buenos Aires’ “Modelo Territorial,” among others.
Check it out:
We think that Barcelona has a interesting innovation progress going on and it is just getting bigger and stronger. Definitely, a city that all Latin countries should take a look at.
What do you think?
Barcelona Activa: http://www.slideshare.net/barcelonactiva/barcelona-smart-city-tour-15080538
El Economista: http://www.eleconomista.es/smartcity-barcelona/noticias/5346323/11/13/-Barcelona-la-apuesta-de-una-ciudad-smart-city-II-.html
El Periodico: http://www.elperiodico.com/es/barcelona-smart-city/
Derniers articles parAlexander Chacon (voir tous)
- George & Dan : Barcelona has a collaborative atmosphere and there’s a lot of buzz here. - Oct 18, 2017
- The one-free-drink-every-day app is born in Barcelona - Oct 17, 2017
- Your voice out there with Hubbub Labs - Sep 26, 2017
- Coworkation: Inspiring entrepreneurs in inspiring places! - Jun 20, 2017